Action Canada for Sexual Health and Rights seeks a full-time Director of Government Relations, based in Ottawa, Canada for a 1-year term (parental leave cover).
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Government Relations leads all advocacy strategies, legal and policy research, and campaigns aimed at advancing sexual and reproductive rights in Canada’s development assistance, foreign policy and domestic laws, programmes and policies, at all levels of government. Supporting team members, and in collaboration with other teams, the Director of Government Relations is responsible for the organization’s relationships with government bodies and officials, both elected and un-elected, leading the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of advocacy strategies and campaigns targeting the federal, provincial and territorial governments, establishing and coordinating legal and policy research priorities and projects, and creating opportunities for and overseeing collaborative advocacy with diverse stakeholders towards political gains.
Experience and qualifications
- Degree (or equivalent experience) in a related field, such as Political Science, Law, Public Administration, Communications, International Development, Social Work, Public Health and Health Policy. Advanced degree considered an asset.
- Minimum 5 years working in the NGO sector
- Knowledge of international human rights system, international SRHR organizations and international development sector, including the United Nations and its specialized agencies, global financing instruments, and international agreements relevant to SRHR
- Demonstrated experience engaging in leveraging Canadian parliamentary processes to advance advocacy goals
- Excellent knowledge of the administrative and executive structures of government
- Experience engaging with government officials at all levels, both elected and unelected
- Experience implementing public engagement campaigns
- Experience working with representatives of the media
- Experience preparing and delivering public statements, briefings, presentations and workshops
- Experience working with allies and other representatives from the NGO sector, including working to advance advocacy priorities within networks and coalitions
- Strong understanding of the role charitable organizations in Canada can play in the policy landscape
- Commitment to the advancement of sexual and reproductive rights for all
- Commitment to applying feminist values, anti-racist and anti-oppression principles and practices
- Management experience
- Commitment to and demonstrated effectiveness working as part of a diverse and participatory team.
- Experience managing relationships with external partners across diverse contexts
- Strong conceptual abilities and aptitudes
- Strong writing and analytical skills
- Strategic thinking; sound judgment and a very clear and focused approach
- Flexible and adaptive, able to respond quickly and effectively to changing circumstances
- Excellent research, writing, analytical and persuasive skills
- Willingness to travel and work outside of normal business hours, when necessary
- Demonstrate initiative, diligence, and conscientiousness in all aspects of work
- Comfortable using digital tools to manage work and collaborate with team members (e.g. Asana, BlueJeans, CiviCRM, Zoom, Dropbox etc.)
- Eligible to work in Canada
- Bilingual (English/French)
Send your cover letter and CV by end of day on January 29, 2020 to jobs[at]actioncanadaSHR.org
Interviews will be conducted February 3 – 14 2020. Position will commence early to mid-March, 2020.
Salary for this position is $65,000 to $75,000 per annum, commensurate with experience.
Application Deadline: 2020-01-29