Do you want to make a difference? Join the world’s largest humanitarian network. The Canadian Red Cross Society, a not for profit, humanitarian organization dedicated to helping Canadians, as well as the most vulnerable throughout the world, is currently seeking a Business Solutions Manager.
The Business Solutions Manager (BSM) is responsible for understanding the business, assisting in the prioritization of projects, ensuring that projects align with the technology that provides maximum return on investment, and directing IT strategy in support of the overall business strategy. The BSM is the liaison between IT and the business unit, and a trusted advisor to the business unit. As such, the BSM needs to have significant knowledge in subject matters pertaining to both IT and the business and must have a thorough understanding of the business to identify its needs and envisage business solutions.
The primary roles are:
- To work in partnership with business units to fully understand the key business drivers, processes, needs and current challenges as well as future initiatives and objectives.
- To partner with business units to leverage technology as an enabler for business improvement.
- To manage projects from assessment through the implementation and to increase the value realized from IT assets, investments, and capabilities.
- To facilitate communications between stakeholders in all aspects of technology strategy and implementation.
- To stimulate innovation across the society through technology and business process improvement.
Responsibility: Stakeholder Management
- Develop and manage the relationship between IT and internal and external partners (business units, service providers).
- Ensuring specific internal business entities are satisfied with IT across all the services and solutions they subscribe to.
- Develop technology strategies for the business unit that aligns within the overall business strategy.
- Stay abreast of new technologies and their ability to provide a competitive edge.
- Look for opportunities to leverage technology to achieve business unit objectives.
- Prepare cost benefit analyses for projects and assist business stakeholders in prioritizing projects.
- Work with stakeholders and project teams to prioritize requirements.
- Ensure the alignment of projects with the technology that provides maximum return on investment.
- Participate in the annual budgeting and planning process for the assigned business units.
- Ensure the business units understand the technology solution, overall solution delivery, and compliance to governance processes, architecture standards, etc.
- Develop recommendations for joint or coordinated application project delivery across business units in collaboration with other BSM’s.
- Develop and communicate IT innovation and awareness programs.
- Develop and promote an awareness of technology and business developments having an impact on existing services.
- Approve application software purchases and maintenance.
- Review and approve vendor agreements.
- Resolve and escalate conflict between IS and stakeholders.
- Coach stakeholders in best practices and standards
- Create, review and approve maintenance budgets.
- Conflict resolution and dispute mediation:
- Helps others resolve complex or sensitive disagreements and conflicts within single working teams and across multiple functional groups.
Responsibility: Portfolio & Project Management
- Responsible for understanding the business, assisting in the prioritization of projects and directing IT strategy in support of the overall business strategy.
- Actively monitor the stakeholder project portfolio
- Monitor the overall investment benefit and risk optimization
- Assess and recommend strategies for business change management.
- Direct and manage project from beginning to end.
- Create business case and request for proposals in conjunction with stakeholders or new service, feature or enhancement.
- Define project scope, goals and deliverables that support business strategy.
- Plan and schedule project timelines and milestones using appropriate tools.
- Draft and submit budget proposals and recommends subsequent budget changes where necessary.
- Estimates the resources and participants needed to achieve project goals.
- Participate in the recruiting, interview and selection of project team members.
- Develop best practices and tools for project execution and management.
- Identify project risks and develops mitigation strategies.
- Identify and manage project dependencies and critical path.
- Communicate project expectations to team members and stakeholders in a timely fashion.
- Conduct project post mortems and creates a recommendations report in order to identify successful and unsuccessful project elements.
- Delegates tasks and responsibilities to appropriate personnel.
- Identify and resolves issues and conflicts within the project team.
- Proactively manage changes in project scope, identify potential crises, and devise contingency plans.
- Coach, motivate and guide project team members and contractors, and influence them to take positive action and be accountable for their assigned work.
- Work with vendors to communicate project requirements, review deliverables, provide instructions and feedback.
- Work with business stakeholders to ensure their adequate participation in all phases of the project to ensure project success.
- Develop and deliver progress reports, proposals and presentations.
- Create, review and approve project budgets.
Responsibility: Service Management
- Lead the design and implementation of new services
- Define and maintain the enterprise architecture model.
- Define and maintain IS service portfolio.
- Maintain the Service Catalogue, ensuring that all information within the Service Catalogue is accurate and up-to-date.
- Define and monitor Operating Level Agreements (OLA) to enhance value to the business unit.
- Define and monitor Service Level Agreements (OLA) to enhance value to the business unit
- Measure the performance of the service provider and design improvements to processes, services and infrastructure in order to increase efficiency, effectiveness, and cost effectiveness.
- Review service level agreement and take corrective action.
- Elicit and review feedback on services from stakeholders.
- Identify opportunities for improvement in the delivery of services.
- Maintain a service feature and defect development plan.
- Ensure that standards and guidelines are followed, or that proper, consistent accounting or other practices are being employed.
- Schedule and manage service releases.
- Manage external suppliers and respective contracts for business applications – performing frequent performance reviews and audits, monitoring contract lifecycles and invoicing.
- Review and manage approval of change requests.
- Respond to queries from the relevant stakeholders as required.
Responsibility: National Disaster Coordination Team (NDCT) lead
- Act as the lead Information Service coordinator for all NDCT meetings during disaster operations. On call duties in evenings and weekends may be required.
- Coordinate IS operational support with the IS Senior Director, Operations and Security, and the Provincial Disaster Coordination Team (PDCT) leads.
- Responsible for timely, accurate reporting of IS operational activities that impact disaster operations
- Responsible for escalation of critical operation issues to senior IS management as required
The incumbent must have the commitment to the Fundamental Principles of the Red Cross Movement and model the core competencies of the CRCS: team excellence, service excellence, accountability and results focused.
- This position requires a satisfactory Canadian criminal record reference check.
- Education & Certification
- University Degree or equivalent
- CBAP certification is an asset
- PMI or Prince2 certification is an asset
- ITIL certification is an asset
Knowledge & Experience
- 5+ years of experience in business and system analysis, business relationship management, information resource management and project management.
- 3+ years of management experience leading teams.
- Experience in the following business domains is an asset: fund development, finance, volunteer management, prevention & safety, emergency management, home and community care, health informatics.
- Strong familiarity with project management and productivity software, such as Microsoft Project, Microsoft SharePoint, Microsoft Office
- Competent and proficient in understanding of platforms and internet technologies such as Microsoft SharePoint, MS Dynamics AX, MS Dynamics CRM,
- Ability to bring project to successful completion through competing priorities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment is crucial.
- Ability to elicit cooperation from a wide variety of sources, including upper management, clients, and other departments.
- Ability to understand and communicate complex business requirements to the technology teams.
- Strong conflict resolution skills; Ability to defuse tension among project team, should it arise.
- Adept at conducting research into project-related issues and products.
- Fluency in French is a mandatory requirement.
- Experience at working both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment is essential.
- Can conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities.
- Flexible during times of change.
- Ability to read communication styles of team members and contractors who come from a broad spectrum of disciplines.
- Persuasive, encouraging, and motivating.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to learn, understand, and apply new technologies.
- Client service skills are necessary and required.
- Business Relationship Manager duties are principally conducted at the National Office of the Canadian Red Cross in Ottawa.
- Ability to work from home as the primary workspace
- Extra time or overtime may be required to meet project deadlines or during disaster response time.
- Some travel across Canada may be required for the purpose of meeting with clients, stakeholders, or off-site personnel/management.
This position requires a successful Canadian criminal record, reference check, valid provincial driver’s license, and First Aid certification (training provided). The Canadian Red Cross Society is an equal opportunity employer.