Do you want to make a difference?
Join the world’s largest humanitarian network. The Canadian Red Cross Society (CRCS) is a not for profit, humanitarian organization dedicated to helping Canadians, as well as the most vulnerable throughout the world.
The Canadian Red Cross – International Operations is seeking experienced Water Sanitation (WatSan) professionals to join our Emergency Response Unit (ERU) delegate register! When you apply to this selection process, you are not applying for a specific job, rather you are applying for a position on the ERU register, to be called upon for future emergency deployments, as and when the need for your professional skillset is required. As opportunities become available, applicants who meet the qualifications may be contacted for further assessment.
An ERU is composed of trained personnel (whom we call delegates) and state-of-the-art equipment ready to deploy at short notice nationally or internationally, to some of the most remote regions of the world, providing medical and healthcare aid to anyone affected by disasters and emergencies. ERUs may augment, or temporarily replace damaged or inaccessible local infrastructure with logistical, communication, administrative, clean water and sanitation support.
This opportunity means that if you are selected to be part of the ERU WatSan register, your application will be reviewed on a rolling-basis, and should you meet the role qualifications, we will contact you accordingly once there is a direct requirement for your profile and start you on the path of deploying with us as a delegate!
Specifically, this position will focus on:
- Setting up, operating, and maintaining all water, sanitation and hygiene support systems of the ERU for the duration of the deployment
- Support and coordinate ERU local staff to undertake professional/technical activities. This could include supervision, mentoring and training.
- Supporting and carrying out various logistics functions.
To deploy with us on national or international missions as an ERU WatSan delegate, you must have:
- Minimum of four years’ experience in the following core areas: water, sanitation, hygiene
- Minimum of one year experience managing and supporting staff and volunteers
- Certified in Canada for the type of work to be conducted internationally (if applicable)
- Licenced professional engineer in applicable discipline (water/sanitation, civil, environmental, other), Certified Engineering Technologist, Certified Technician, or other relevant technical certification; and/or
- Drinking Water Treatment System (DWTS) Operator with level certification based on classification of system being operated (minimum Class 2 certification; preferred for deployment of DWTS only)
- Experience in setting up and managing a non-permanent compound in an austere environment
- Minimum of one year experience in living or working in a cultural context other than their own
- Preferred experience operating 110/220v electrical systems, including single-phase generator and associated power distribution system
- Preferred working knowledge in carpentry, electricity, and tent structures
- Fluency in English
- Availability to deploy on short notice—48-72 hours and on unaccompanied missions of 4-6 weeks
- Excellent physical & mental health with the ability to complete and maintain a thorough medical screening and receive medical clearance prior to departure in the field
- Completion of mandatory online courses and in-person training as required upon selection and onboarding
- Successful completion of Vulnerable Sector criminal record and professional reference checks
You will stand out if you have:
- Fluency in additional languages (French, Spanish, Arabic & Mandarin are major assets)
- Experience working in an emergency context
- Experience living/working in hardship and/or low-resource environments
- International driving license OR experience driving standard transmission
- First Aid/CPR certification
- Previous experience working/volunteering with the Red Cross or Red Crescent Movement
- Skills in training, facilitation, coaching and development of staff and volunteers
- Demonstrated experience providing coaching and advice on complex people relations issues
*Please note that further qualifications in specific technical disciplines may be required based upon the response context.
What we offer our delegates:
- Competitive pay and benefits package
- Travel, accommodation, medical & insurance coverage when deploying
- Pre-deployment and recurring training programs and professional development events in Canada and abroad