What we do
At BC Children’s Hospital Foundation, we’re on a quest to ensure every kid in the province receives the best health care imaginable. As a fundraising organization, we inspire communities and people to support BC Children’s Hospital, along with its world-class research institute, mental health facility and rehabilitation centre.
Our work makes a profound difference. From helping get the boldest research ideas off the ground to supporting the most advanced equipment, together we are pushing the boundaries of what’s possible in children’s health care. This is no small task—which is why we’re looking for passionate people to join our team and help propel our mission forward.
What you’ll do
Reporting to the Director, Research & Prospect Management (RPM), the Research Analyst is responsible for generating strategic donor intelligence to facilitate informed decision-making and help guide the development of optimal philanthropic relationships. The focus of the position is on the creation and maintenance of a dynamic body of knowledge regarding the Foundation’s key stakeholders and target markets, and identifying strategic opportunities for support through data analytics, environmental scanning, and media monitoring.
More specifically, you will:
- Undertake ongoing prospect development analysis as part of RPM’s overall mandate to build a prospect base sufficient in size and yield to support long-term Foundation goals. Lead projects to identify potential significant individual and corporate donors and senior volunteers;
- Analyze biographical, financial, corporate, and statistical information from a wide array of internet and media sources and specialized databases. Interpret, evaluate, and synthesize data into concise and actionable reports on a request basis as well as proactively to support planning and decision making by Philanthropy staff;
- Perform in-depth target market environmental scanning and trend research, focusing on priority industries, communities, and geographic regions;
- Acquire knowledge and understanding of BCCHF strategic plans for specific industry or demographic markets, as well as awareness of key vulnerabilities and opportunities. Provide engagement recommendations and summarize findings into detailed written reports;
- Analyze industry, business, and financial news targeted to BCCHF donor engagement priorities. Communicate critical news to key clients through media alerts or customized newsletters;
- Lead data-mining projects in collaboration with the Information Systems team;
- Provide research support for key Foundation initiatives and projects including campaign prospecting, event attendee research, Board and Committee nominee biographies, etc;
- Provide leadership in data integrity & knowledge management on key stakeholder data storage; work with Foundation colleagues to ensure consistency and currency of prospect relationship management data;
- Maintain currency with industry best practices and provide recommendations on new products, resources, and techniques. Perform ongoing evaluation of the department’s inventory of subscription-based information services and make recommendations as appropriate;
- Supervise and train research assistants and short term contract staff;
- Maintain a robust network of professional peers across the industry to ensure information sharing and knowledge of evolving practices.
What you bring
As the ideal candidate, you will bring to the role a university degree in Business, Social Sciences or Humanities. A Master’s degree in Information Studies is considered a strong asset, as is reading knowledge of languages other than English. In addition, you will have a minimum of three years of directly related experience. In addition, you will possess:
- Curiosity, persistence and imagination in the development of new ways to secure, analyze, and interpret information critical to supporting strategic decision-making and grow the Foundation’s donor pipeline;
- Proficiency with core prospect research methodologies, including capacity analysis, data mining, relationship mapping, and advanced web searching;
- Ability to absorb, analyze, evaluate, and synthesize large quantities of data from a multitude of sources; comfort level with complex financial documents and filings;
- Superior written and verbal communication skills; ability to create highly informative, concise, actionable, and accurate reports and profiles;
- Ability to partner effectively with a broad range of professional staff at all levels throughout the Foundation; effectiveness in carrying out supervision and training responsibilities;
- Ability to organize and manage a diverse and often shifting range of assignments and projects with high efficiency, yet maintain thorough attention to detail and follow-through;
- Must demonstrate sensitivity and professionalism in handling confidential information; familiarity with privacy legislation and ethical guidelines in fundraising is an advantage;
- Understanding of the charitable sector and knowledge of key fundraising methodologies and principles;
- Knowledge of British Columbia’s key business sectors, economic drivers and cultural communities;
- Familiarity with a broad spectrum of online information resources;
- Experience working with large datasets, performing segmentation and prioritization based on key variables; knowledge of Raiser’s Edge or other CRM systems;
- Understanding of relational database design and function, and knowledge of data analytics and visualization in a prospect development setting
What else you need to know
We are looking to fill two fulltime permanent positions.
We believe that anything is possible. And that permeates every action we take. As a team, we push ourselves to constantly aim higher in our work. We try new things and challenge the status quo. We respect each other and act from a place of compassion in everything we do.
While we take our work seriously, we’re also big on taking care of our team. We offer perks like a nine-day fortnight schedule and flexible hours, topnotch health and dental benefits, and a commitment to professional development.
We think it’s a pretty amazing place. Others agree—we’re proud to say that we’ve been recognized as one of BC’s Top Employers for ten years in a row.