Strategic Foundation Partnerships, with its focus on measurable impact and high quality design, is an area poised for Save the Children’s leadership across its peer set. Building on solidly established relationships with strategic foundations such as Gates, Bezos, and others, the Associate Vice President will lead the team to a new ambition, growing strategic foundation philanthropy to new heights and diversifying 6-8 figure relationships in full alignment with Save the Children strategic priorities. Achieving this goal will require a leader who incites new ways of working, embracing new giving models and tirelessly challenging the status quo.
A member of the Resource Development Senior Management Team, the AVP, Strategic Foundation Partnerships will be instrumental at contributing to division-wide efforts that advance Save the Children’s positioning and fundraising efforts such as Big Bets, social enterprise capacity building and more.
What You’ll Be Doing (Essential Duties)
- Lead strategic planning and growth strategy for engaging strategic foundations with an aim to generate a minimum of $45 million annually for Save the Children –As department lead, the AVP, Strategic Foundation Partnerships will drive annual strategy, establish key metrics, and inspire the team to effectively and creatively reach increasingly higher targets to help advance Save the Children’s global mission. Strategy plans under this role will include the development of highly technical, donor-focused offerings that will elevate donor perception of Save the Children’s approach to solving social problems. At a time of rapid and exciting change in strategic philanthropy, Save the Children’s AVP of Strategic Foundation Partnerships will identify the most relevant trends and the Agency’s opportunities to be part of the changing landscape. A visionary leader, the AVP will continuously challenge the status quo to ensure the team remains ahead of the curve when it comes to strategic philanthropy (30%).
- Team Management – Lead, mentor and develop a team of over 20 relationship managers and writers, to manage committed grants and/or grow new business revenue. Support team efforts, participating in senior-level donor meetings to elevate discussions and demonstrate high level support. Embed a customer-centric mindset across pitches, concept notes and proposals, highlighting Save the Children’s strengths and thematic excellence within the sector. Ensure that strategic dialogue and pitches to strategic foundations and collective investment opportunities within the team’s purview reflect the latest thinking in giving, collaborating with Save the Children technical advisors at regional and local levels. Promote collaboration across the agency, particularly with Marketing, Program and Policy teams, as well as peers across the movement (30%).
- Social Enterprise –The AVP will lead in-house staff and consultants to develop and implement a social enterprise strategy to help the Agency achieve the goal of becoming a credible player in this space within the next three years. The AVP will directly or through their team and coordinate within Save the Children US and across the movement to identify and socialize existing programs ready for donor funding, seek internal and external investments to bring existing social enterprise models from incubation to growth stage; and identify opportunities to establish new social enterprise programs across the Save the Children movement. Through these efforts, the AVP of SFP will help the Agency establish sustainable income to increase program continuity and reduce dependency on new sources of funds (20%).
- Philanthropic Innovation –The AVP of SFP will work closely with the VP of RD to identify the most relevant Big Bet opportunities for Save the Children, developing advisory councils with Board Members and others to secure Big Bet investments. A forward thinker, the AVP will stay informed of the latest trends and will champion new ways of thinking to ensure the Agency remains a preferred partner for both established and upcoming visionary philanthropist groups. The AVP will help lead Big Bets opportunities, emphasizing cross-sector collaboration with others outside Save the Children and the inclusion of internal and external perspectives as advisors during the proposal development process, and will set ambitious but credible objectives/technical content, strong metrics, and a clear communications and marketing plan. The AVP will drive traction in this area to help transform our ways of working as a global organization. (15%).
- External Visibility – Identify and secure opportunities to build Save the Children’s visibility within the philanthropic and social investment sector, securing speaking engagements, social media posts, and publications that recognize Save the Children’s leadership position in the space. Perform other duties as may be assigned. (5%)
What’s In It for You
- Minimum of 15-20 years' experience in area of expertise
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant experience required
- Expert level technical and/or managerial knowledge, skills, and experience to lead a department or region, or to provide the technical advice, guidance and direction related to large programs
What makes us special!
- Aetna Medical and Dental insurance with a concierge service
- Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
- Vision Insurance
- Life insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Commuter Benefit Program
- Vacation and Sick leave
- Paid holidays
Save the Children believes every child deserves a future. In the United States and around the world, we give children a healthy start in life, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. We do whatever it takes for children – every day and in times of crisis – transforming their lives and the future we share.
Save the Children is committed to conducting its programs and operations in a manner that is safe for the children it serves and helping protect the children with whom Save the Children is in contact. All Save the Children representatives are explicitly prohibited from engaging in any activity that may result in any kind of child abuse. In addition, it is Save the Children’s policy to create and proactively maintain an environment that aims to prevent and deter any actions and omissions, whether deliberate or inadvertent, that place children at the risk of any kind of child abuse. All our representatives are expected to conduct themselves in a manner consistent with this commitment and obligation. Any violations of this policy will be treated as a serious issue.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Save the Children complies with all applicable laws.
- Generous Retirement Savings with matching company contributions of up to 8%
- Family Leave – 10 additional days of paid time off for you to use to care for your family members
- Additional Maternity and Paternity Leave – 30 days where parents can take additional paid leave (beyond short-term disability and FMLA) at the birth or adoption of a child during that critical first year!
- Critical Child Illness Leave – We hope you never have to use it, but we will provide an additional 30 days of paid leave per year should your dependent child be faced with a critical illness.
- Pet Insurance, Critical Illness Insurance, Identity Protection, Home, Auto and additional Life insurances
- Summer Fun Fridays – During the summer months, early release at 1:30 pm every other Friday!
- Volunteer Day – One paid day a year to support the causes that matter to you!
- Ergonomic Options – Every employee at our HQ offices has the option of a sitting/standing desk
- Leadership and Employee Development Training, including:
- Our remarkable in-house CORE, Senior Management Development, and Leadership Development Programs
- Language learning opportunities
- Continuous Improvement skill development programs
- Lunch and Learn information sharing sessions
- Work hard/Play hard! We make sure there’s ample opportunity for fun, engagement, and celebration while you work, such as networking events, March Madness, World Cup, Dodgeball Tournaments, Take Your Child to Work Day, Founder’s Day, and our annual Day of Service