Join the world’s largest humanitarian network. The Canadian Red Cross Society, a not for profit, humanitarian organization dedicated to helping the most vulnerable in Canada and throughout the world, is currently seeking a Training Coordinator IO.
Reporting to the Manager, IO Training Hub and working closely with the IO Project Manager, Readiness for Global Emergency Response and People Services, the incumbent is responsible for the successful planning and implementation of CRC-managed residential training for CRC personnel and delegates deployed in multilateral Red Cross Movement operations. The Training Coordinator is responsible for stewarding CRC’s annual training calendar and overseeing the planning and implementation of scheduled training events.
Responsibility 1 – Develop, implement CRC’s annual IO Readiness Training Calendar (25%)
Responsibility 2 – Oversee, coordinate the implementation of CRC residential training events (60%)
- Ensures communication lines are maintained with Movement Partner (IFRC, ICRC, PNS) training focal points; remains updated on Movement trainings throughout the year.
- Leads meetings with the IO Readiness project team during annual operational planning process to map projected Movement trainings during following project/fiscal year; develops/maintains an annual training calendar based on institutional and operational priorities
- Contributes to the IO Training Hub’s annual work plan based on expected deliverables
- Ensures user access to relevant learning plarforms (IFRC, CRC) where manadatory and elective distance learning is available. Keeps CRC infomraiton on relevant learning opportunities up-to-date.
- Liaises with Register Managers and other internal stakeholders on formalizing selection criteria for planned CRC trainings including gender balance considerations; ensure that selection is fair, consistent and transparent.
Responsibility 3 – Information Management, administrative support (15%)
- Develops detailed work plans for each training event, including key deliverables, responsibilities and timelines to ensure all required resources are identified/mobilized, and tasks completed within appropriate timelines; monitors and reports progress to internal clients
- Advises on budgeting for each training event; monitors expenses, oversees the processing of invoices ensuring rates and deliverables are as agreed
- Requests external services and/or consultants as per established Supply Chain Management procedures. Selects vendors as per identified options to meet budget, timelines and training objectives (e.g., venues, catering, AV, transportation, training materials) ensuring CRC’s procurement policies are followed; reviews proposals and conducts site visits for potential venues as needed
- Maintains relationships with vendors to secure cost effective, quality, reliable logistics and catering for clients’ needs; works with Supply Chain and Logistics team to ensure appropriate administration of vendor contract.
- Ensures basic health, safety and wellness requirements are met in choice of facilities and event coordination
- Coordinates the invitation of candidates, selection and registration of participants in close coordination with relevant managers; provides practical information and maintains communication with training participants and facilitators
- Ensures that the required pre-requisites for training are duly completed and tracked as per course requirements
- Submits training reports on a quarterly basis to the register managers to follow-up.
- Engages and supervises volunteers in the preparation, delivery and follow-up of training as needed; delegates and supervises tasks/projects, makes recommendations on the request for and performance management of volunteers
- Oversees the set up and tear down of training spaces; engages and supervises the support of others, ensures that layout meets requirements of the training
- Attends trainings (e.g., IMPACT, ERU, etc) to oversee implementation: communication/updates with participants, support to facilitators, troubleshooting accommodation/food issues, arranging/coordinating transportation, management of training materials
- Engages in quality assurance, improvement; works with clients to implement training evaluations and feedback mechanisms and support the analysis of the effectiveness of training
- Maintains an up-to-date waiting list of delegates to be trained on Taleo
- Oversees effective tracking of completed training in CRC systems; prepares reports as required; carries out regular quality checks on training records.
- Ensures the inventory of materials developed by the IO Training Hub is well managed. This includes content updates, printing, translation, including preparation and distribution of “kits” to the field
- Supports the development/review of training processes and tools to strengthen training delivery (e.g., templates, registration systems); ensures efficiency, effectiveness and consistency in practice, including branding of Canadian Red Cross delegate courses in coordination with CRC’s Learning and Development Centre
- Reviews training/event costs and options and makes recommendations to improve cost effectiveness
- Ensures sharing and dissemination of programme related materials to all concerned actors in the team and with the Canadian Red Cross Society
Education and Experience
Knowledge and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or a combination of experience and education that would be considered equivalent
- Certification in training/event management
- Three years experience in a training/event coordination role
- Experiencing advising on training logistics and approach
- Experience in working for a humanitarian organization an asset
CRC Core competencies
- Knowledge of the Red Cross Movement and adherence to its fundamental principles
- Strong knowledge and ability in using business support processes and tools (e.g., Microsoft Office suite, databases, tracking systems)
- Superior organization and time management skills and keen attention to details, timelines and budget are essential
- Demonstrated ability to find creative solutions to problems, by gathering pertinent information and determinining the right solution based on knowledge of work methods.
- Proven ability to manage multiple priorities under pressure and in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines/turnaround times
- Strong relationship building and customer service skills, demonstrated attention to client objectives and quality assurance
- Ability to supervise and coordinate volunteers
- Ability to assess risks, including security, financial and other risks to CRC personnel, and to develop strategies to minimize risks.
- Fluency in English; working proficiency in French is an asset
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills to coordinate a variety of event variables and communicate effectively and professionally with all levels of internal and external stakeholders and vendors.
- Negotiation skills
- Research and analytical skills
- Demonstrated ability to carry out independent decision making, as well as decision making with some level of consultation with the immediate supervisor.
- Ability to handle highly confidential and sensitive information.
- Resilience and adaptability to changing circumstances and an evolving environment
- Commitment to gender equality and social inclusion
- Commitment to the Principles of the Red Cross Movement.
- Accountability: respects, inspires trust, is dependable, and uses judgment.
- Team excellence: adapts, demonstrates commitment, collaborates and builds relationships.
- Results focused: plans and organizes work, is goal/task oriented, is solution oriented, focuses on continuous learning.
- Service excellence: is service oriented.
- The majority of the work is performed in a clean and comfortable environment
- May include long to moderate hours sitting and using computers and office equipment.
- May be required to do some light lifting of supplies and materials from time to time up to 20kg (or another weight)
- Events require a higher than usual physical effort during the preparation phase which includes transports of event materials including lifting and carrying boxes, setting up and tear down of rooms
- Ability to work non-traditional hours on short notice
- Ability to work in stressful and often ambiguous conditions.
- This position involves 20 – 25% domestic travel and may require overseas travel to attend conferences, workshops and meetings as required.
- If required, and eligible, periodic travel to country operations may be required. Field missions can involve working in environments that are unstable and with unpredictable access to basic services in emergency contexts and requiring very strict adherence to security regulations
- Must be able to be Medical Cleared for travel in accordance with established CRC Medical criteria in positions where travel will be required
- Successfully complete a Canadian criminal record reference check and vulnerable sector check
Want to foresee how you will make a difference? Visit our following websites below to get a glimpse of what we do, aspire to be one of our many current delegates, locate where we deploy, and much more!