Position and Applicant Profile
AIDS-Free World is looking for an administrative professional to fill a new full-time position, Administrative Assistant. Working closely with the Administrator, the Administrative Assistant will be responsible for handling all travel arrangements for our small but busy team; coordinating meeting and travel logistics for staff meetings and special events; and playing a key role in supporting the Administrator with administrative financial tasks, including tracking expenses, entering financial data, and reconciling accounts. The position also includes general administrative support, including data entry, managing general inquiries by email and phone, and administrative support for basic communications functions.
We are seeking someone who is interested in using their administrative skills in a virtual workplace with colleagues who are devoted to issues of social justice. Essential requirements are an ability to communicate clearly, both in writing and by phone, an ability to manage competing priorities, and the desire to provide essential administrative support and become a reliable member of the team. The candidate selected to fill this role will be a meticulously organized person who demonstrates in their application a genuine attention to detail.
We seek a generalist with a work history that demonstrates an ability to handle detailed administrative work and a toolbox that includes skilled use of all basic programs in the Microsoft Office Suite, in particular Word and Excel. Training for our specific software and systems will be provided, though familiarity with SAP Concur is an asset.
In order to work well within our small, high‐performing team, the ideal candidate must be adaptable, detail‐oriented, able to work both independently and as part of a team, have critical thinking skills, and be clear‐headed under pressure. We are looking for a colleague who will share our interest in and passion for the work AIDS-Free World does.
- Coordinate and manage travel for all staff including booking flights and hotels, coordinating per diems, and providing support to staff while traveling
- Organize all travel and onsite logistics for staff meetings
- Oversee logistics and arrangements for special events
- Coordinate arrangements for travel, meetings, and speaking engagements for one of the initiative’s co-directors
- Process and track invoices using internal systems and software programs
- Compile weekly data for expenditure tracking
- Manage business credit cards, including tracking and reconciling of all expenses
- Enter and manage data using Salesforce database (training will be provided)
- Manage general inquiries received by phone and email
- Provide administrative support to co-directors as needed
- Assist with administrative research projects
- Act as vacation relief support for administrative tasks normally handled by other staff
- Provide back-up support for communications tasks, such as formatting texts for public distribution using Mailchimp and posting items online (training will be provided)
- Carry out other administrative duties as required
- Post-secondary training. A Bachelor’s degree is preferred, but applicants who have completed post-secondary education that demonstrates skills training in relevant areas will also be considered.
- A minimum of 2 years’ work experience providing administrative support in a professional setting with a strong focus on logistics, finances, and management of details
- Able to communicate professionally in all written and verbal exchanges
- Able to convey information succinctly and accurately
- Able to set priorities and easily task-shift in a fast-paced environment
- Well-organized with a demonstrated ability to pay great attention to detail
- An expert user of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Familiar with basic financial practices, particularly related to account reconciliation and accounts payable
- Fluency in English
- Ideally, familiar with SAP Concur
- Experience working remotely is an asset
About AIDS-Free World
is an international advocacy organization co-directed by Paula Donovan and Stephen Lewis. We are a small team of advocates working remotely from different cities throughout North America and Africa. We are at an exciting moment in the life of the organization: AIDS-Free World’s Code Blue Campaign
has re-ignited a global discussion about ending impunity for peacekeeper sexual abuse. We continue to press for change and speak out fearlessly against inequality and injustice.
AIDS-Free World staff work remotely from home or rented office space. This post is only open to candidates who reside and are legally eligible to work in Canada. Working hours will be Eastern Time; 9am – 5pm EST/EDT. Occasional travel within North America is required, including travel to the United States for orientation and training.
We offer a generous benefits package and competitive NGO compensation commensurate with experience.
How to apply
Please read the following guidelines carefully. Applications will be evaluated based on the fullness with which the instructions below are followed.
- The application deadline is 5:00 PM (EST) on Friday, January 24, 2020. Please submit application online by clicking here. Please, no phone calls.
- A cover letter must be submitted in the text box provided on the application page.
- You must submit your résumé as a PDF attachment. Only one pdf attachment can be submitted with your application.
- Your cover letter must make it clear that you’ve put some thought into your application: In your cover letter, please include an explanation of what attracts you to AIDS‐Free World’s work and how our advocacy reflects your values. Please also describe the ways in which your experience fits the profile of the candidate we’re seeking.
Note: Shortlisted candidates will be asked to participate in a timed exercise as part of the selection process. This exercise will simulate the way the selected candidate will work with the Administrator and other staff, and it will give all parties an opportunity to evaluate the process.
As AIDS-Free World Canada is a project on the Tides Canada shared platform, the selected candidate will be an employee of Tides Canada. Tides Canada is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.