SUPERVISOR Steven Hoffman, Director of the Global Strategy Lab; Patrick Fafard, Associate Director of the Global Strategy Lab
DEPARTMENT Global Strategy Lab
APPLICATION DEADLINE July 29th, 2019
The Global Strategy Lab
is hiring a Research Fellow to support our research program. The Global Strategy Lab advises the world’s governments and public health organizations on how to design laws, policies and institutions that address transnational health threats and make the world a healthier place for everyone. This position represents an opportunity to conduct quantitative and mixed-methods research in social science and public health, to work across national borders as part of a globally integrated research team and make tangible contributions to ongoing policy processes on pressing health issues. This position also provides opportunities for professional development, including opportunities to learn new research methods and to attend and present at academic conferences. Candidates must have a graduate degree in a related discipline or be nearing completion of their degree by the position start date.
As a research staff member, the selected individual will help execute various research projects in collaboration with GSL’s Directors and Research Associates. The Research Fellow will assist with secondary data collection, quantitative and qualitative analysis, preparing grant applications, REB submissions, and with manuscript writing across a range of new and existing projects. This position represents a challenging opportunity that is ideally suited for an academically inclined individual with a demonstrated interest in global health and social science research.
- Graduate degree in a related field (e.g., public health, health research methods, global health, public policy, political science)
- Experience with social sciences research preferably related to public health issues
- Strong ability to work independently and in teams
- Attentiveness to detail
- Excellent writing skills and demonstrated ability to write for multiple audiences
- Willingness to take initiative and to learn new things
- Interest in social science research on global health, governance and institutional design
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS (BUT NOT REQUIREMENTS)
- Experience working with, and mentoring, undergraduate research assistants
- Knowledge of basic health concepts and willingness to learn scientific terminology as it arise
- Proficiency with using social media and other forms of online communication to disseminate organizational news and information
RESEARCH FELLOW RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide a full range of research support to the GSL team
- Assist in the design of new studies and the analysis of results
- Conduct literature searches and environmental scans
- Assist in the preparation of abstracts, grants, and manuscripts for publication
- Assist in the submissions and updates to research ethics boards
- Develop presentations for external stakeholders
- Assist with coordinating knowledge translation events, including research seminars and workshops
- Support integrated and end-of-grant knowledge translation activities
COMPENSATION AND TERM OF EMPLOYMENT
This position is a two-year contract with the possibility of extension and will be based at York University. Annual salary will range from $45,000-$55,000, depending on the individual’s experience and education. The successful candidate is expected to work approximately 40 hours per week. There is one position available.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a brief cover letter, CV and writing sample to email@example.com
. Please quote Job #545199 in the email subject line. Only successful candidates will be contacted for interviews, which will take place in person or via video conference the week of August 6th
Thank you in advance for your interest.